Monday, August 6, 2007

perfumes worthy of mention: Shalimar


Yesterday while feathering my nest I lit frankincense and myrrh incense cones to sweeten the air, which is my usual custom.

I have long loved the scents of frankensence and myrrh as well as their mystical properties and vast spiritual histories.

Today I realized that Shalimar by Guerlain, which has always been one of my favorite perfumes, brings to mind not only the smell of frankincense and myrrh, but also the smells of my most spiritual journey thus far.

It smells of winding streets in Bethany where I visited Lazarus' tomb, of little boys peddling hand made sling shots, of shopkeepers greeting me in Arabic, of mosques calling their members to prayer at midday, of temples, of time.

Having never before made the connection I am obviously delighted. It's as if I was destined to adore the fragrance, long before my travels taught me why.

Places of Interest: Tomb of Lazarus

No comments: